If you are joining us for the first time…WELCOME! We hope you’ll enjoy your visit and subscribe (it’s free) to receive updates on what we are doing. There is a contact button that allows you to contact us at any time with questions, suggestions or if you’re displeased. We want to hear from you.


This blog originated in 2020. With the advent of Covid-19, I found myself locked in my house with my three-year-old wired hair Dachshund, Twoee. She taught me a lot during that first month and stayed by my side while we jumped from one thing to another…experimenting as we went along.


The site is arranged into four categories, each indicated by a picture of Twoee on the left. After all she did inspire me.


Penne’s Pantry

Cooking came late in life to me. After spending my career in boardrooms across the United States I found that I truly loved being at home in the kitchen. Here you will find recipes, videos of food preparations, and tips on cooking in general.


Trips and Tips

I love to travel, so stories came naturally to me. Read about various encounters I had along the way through some exciting cities in Europe.


Twoee Tails

Here you will find stories about Twoee. Read about her run for presidency in 2016, her adventures with her pals, and how she got involved with Covid-19.


Writers’ Workshop

Keep up to date with the novel that I am writing…if I ever get it finished; and various other short stories.

We are BAAAACK in Business!

 

Blog June 4,2021

The Come Back Kid!


 

 

Have you ever been in the produce department of your favorite market, and spotted a berry or fruit that you couldn’t resist? You go to reach for it, but remember the last time you bought fruit, got it home only to find it either mealy or sour. That’s been my life for the past month.

 

I have been in search of tasty cherries, peaches and strawberries.  I thought I had the strawberry problem solved when the Manchester Strawberry farm in Encinitas opened. Unfortunately, they couldn’t get enough folks to pick the berries and their season was cut short.

 

Now I was back in the produce section of my market and on the prowl again. This time I was not going to waste money on inferior fruit. I had perfected a “sampling” method.  I saw the juiciest, reddest plumpest California Bing cherries…EVER! I had been disappointed with tasteless cherries for the past month and I wasn’t going to get stuck again.

 

 After scanning the area, I noticed the produce guy was busy placing bananas on display.  His back was to me. It was time to practice “sampling.” I snatched a cherry, threw it in my mouth, and covered my mouth with my hand like I was adjusting my mask.  Oh my god, it was wonderful. I had hit pay dirt. In the cooling section next to the cherries sat beautiful strawberries.  How could I get so lucky?  Dare I try and “sample” one of those?  Before I could reconsider, my hand shot out and nabbed a strawberry right out of its little plastic container.  I popped it in my mouth and hoped no one was looking? The rich taste of strawberry flooded my taste-buds.

 

 “YES!” I said a little too loud in my excitement.

 

 The produce guy looked my way.  He was on to me.

 

 “Great Berries!” I said. I wanted to crawl under the counter.  I could imagine the headlines, “La Jolla widow caught pinch'n berries!”  YIKES! 


 

He raised one eyebrow, shook his head and smiled.  My secret was safe with him. I loaded up my basket with strawberries and cherries and headed home.  I was going to make ice cream.  This was going to be the start to a great summer.

 

WHATS IN TWOEE'S FREEZER?  

Rufus’s Rockin’ Cherry Almond.  An exciting blend of toasted almonds, fresh plump California cherries, with a splash of Amaretto all blended into a creamy almond ice cream make this a seasonal special. 

Clara’s Cherry Chocolate Chunk.  Freshly picked California Bing cherries make this ice cream come alive with flavor.  Let your tongue discover the rich dark chocolate chunks that swirl through this summer favorite.

Sparc’s Spectacular Stracciatella Gelato!  If you’ve ever been to Italy, it’s a good bet you’ve tasted Stracciatella Gelato!  An extra creamy tres leche gelato laced with spears of dark chocolate that melt on your tongue.  You’ll feel like your back in Rome! 

Lucy’s Limoncello- A true lemon lover’s ecstasy that has the flavor of a true lemon meringue pie.  It will pucker your lips. Laced with Limoncello in a divine creamy lemon base.

 Zinnia’s Zany Coconut-A rich blend of Tahitian vanilla bean, coconut milk and coconut cream churned to perfection.  Add a little and fresh coconut and you have a tropical treat.

Clara’s chocolate peanut butter-if you like peanut butter cups, you’ll love this ice cream.  Three different chocolates blended together with peanut butter.  Add to that bits of peanut butter cups that melt in your mouth.

 Cooper’s Caramel by the sea- If there was an ice cream to surpass Berthillon’s of Paris, this is the one.  It’s velvety caramel flavor bursts with the excitement of sea salt and teases your senses.    

Stella Luna’s Strawberry – If you’re a strawberry lover who likes a smooth creamy flavor this one’s for you. Made from fresh strawberries bursting with flavor and blended with the pureness of fresh cream. Definitely a must for a hot summer day.



Comments

Popular Posts